Locomotive F 180 [Meg Merrilies]
Maker and role
Yorkshire Engine Company Limited, Manufacturer
See full details
244/74 built 1874 at Yorkshire Engine to F 180 (0-6-0ST). In service 09/1875. Written off 01/10/1932. Preserved 15/04/1966 MOTAT (`Meg Merrilles'. Restoration commenced 1999.) [source: http://nzrailwaysrollingstocklists.weebly.com]
In 1882, it was changed to "F"22 and in 1890, it was allocated its final numbering of "F"180 under the New Zealand Railways numbering system. For almost 30 years it worked between Whanganui and Palmerston North, until larger engines took over the main line. The locomotive was then given mainly shunting duties, notably hauling the first train from Whanganui to Turakina. In this role it worked at various places, including Mangaweka, Marton, Taihape, New Plymouth and Wellington. After 1921, F 180 remained in Whanganui, although it did spend time in Auckland around 1924. Meg Merrilies then went to the East Town workshops in 1932, where it was officially "written off". However, it was spared the scrapper's torch and became their shunter until 1965, when finally retired after ninety years in service.
In March 1966, the last run was made and it was then presented to MOTAT by the Minster of Railways at the time, Honourable J. K. McAlpine. The "Fs" were the second most common steam engines on the New Zealand Railways, 88 being built by various English and Scottish manufacturers. This locomotive has been fully restored and is now operational.