Maker and role
Richard Pearse, Maker
See full details
The engine was described by engineer E. Harry as a single cylinder, air-cooled, four stroke petrol engine made from sheet metal, with modifications likely made by Pearse. It was not the first aero-engine Pearse had come across, as records show he had already built at least two of his own aircraft engines while he was experimenting and testing his monoplane – two- and four-cylinder engines described by Pearse in a 1906 patent and the latter by the Temuka Leader in 1909.
It was donated to MOTAT in 1964, as part of the Sir George Bolt collection. In the years after Pearse's death in 1953, Bolt had researched the whereabouts of some of the inventions Pearse had made. This cycle was found on a farm at Tai Tapu in 1959 and reached MOTAT in a relatively intact state.