Secondary maker and role
The Westinghouse Brake and Signal Company: Manufacturer
Hunslet Y 542 built in 1923 steam locomotive 0-6-0 type side tank engine. Conventional steam engine with a cylindrical boiler and "square" cabin. Water in side tanks; black. Small, external air-reservoir and water tank on top of main boiler. Cabin has round windows; side steps and unusual raked coal-shuttle, inverted, behind cabin. Electric headlights, shunting steps front and rear. A heavy locomotive equipped with Westinghouse braking system.
Locomotive Y 542 was one of three 0-6-0T locomotives built for the Public Works Department (PWD) in 1923 by the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds. These three locomotives were given the P.W.D. numbers 542, 543 and 544 for railway construction projects in the North Island and the Napier-Gisborne and Stratford-Okahukura Lines. Y 542 later worked in the Tauraroa Ballast Quarry, between Portland and Huarau in 1930, and then in the Whangamarino swamp from 1930 to 1932. Y 542 was then acquired from the PWD on the 18th October 1945 and, after repairs, was placed into service in December 1945. In 1951, the 3 locomotives were taken over by the Mechanical Branch and allocated the classification Y. Y 542 was allocated to Auckland Locomotive Depot Mechanical Branch for coal shunting duties until 1957 when it was sold to Wilsons (NZ) Portland Cement Company. It became Wilson's No. 3 of a fleet of 11 steam locomotives and was used on their railway at Portland for use on the new quarry incline run. Wilsons's donated Y 542 to MOTAT in 1985.
1443 Maker's Number
The Hunslet Engine Company Limited. 1923. Locomotive [Steam Y 542], 1985.67. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).