Secondary maker and role
The Westinghouse Brake Company Limited: Manufacturer
A diesel/electrical locomotive powered by an "AEC" diesel and B.T.H. generating set. Eb25 is equipped with Westinghouse brakes.
EB 25 built 1925 at Goodman, USA. Altered 1953 (rebuilt to Diesel Electric Shunter (48kW)). Written off 09/1978 at Otahuhu. Preserved 1978 at MOTAT [source: http://nzrailwaysrollingstocklists.weebly.com]
The first Eb (electric battery) locomotive was ordered in 1925 and put to work at the NZGR's Frankton house factory. After the factory closed in 1929, the locomotive was transferred to the Addington workshops. A further 4 locomotives were ordered in 1929 from the Goodman Manufacturing Company, USA. As originally built, they were a battery electric locomotive powered by 120 Edison A12 cells (60 at each end) producing 23 kW/32 hp and fitted with a centre cab. In later years, it was decided that due to the problem of battery maintenance and obtaining spare parts, the entire class was to be converted to diesel electric. This work was done in 1953 at the Otahuhu workshops by the installation of AEC Comet Mark III diesel engine with a BTH DY4835 main generating set producing 48 kW/65 hp (ex World War II searchlight generating set), but still retaining the original 2 x Goodman 41B traction motors. The original centre cab was replaced by an end cab and a hood fitted to carry the diesel engine and generator. They were capable of speeds of 20 kph.
Eb 25 thus became one of a class of 3 to be the first diesel electric locomotives to operate on the NZR and it was, subsequently, allocated to the Otahuhu Railway workshops as a shunter. It was affectionately known as "The Little Red Hen". Eb 25 was written off in 1978.
EB / 25 Maker's Plate
Goodman Manufacturing Company. 1929. Locomotive [Diesel/Electric - Eb 25], F1008.2002. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).