Maker and role
Oberursel/Deutz Locomotive Works, Manufacturer
See full details
2 x Tipper bucket carts have oblong metal base framing with space to fit wheels. Exterior of tipper bucket is painted green. Chain attachments on bucket.
In the early 1940s it was sold to Mr. W. S. Miller of New Zealand Mercury Mines Ltd. at Puhipuhi in Northland. At some point between 1920 and 1940, it was regauged from 2 foot to 3 foot 6 inches, as were the 10 hopper wagons. Regauging to meant it could be used to carry cinnabar ore from the quarry for processing. It eventually fell into disuse and was left at the site after the mine closed in 1945, when the demand for mercury for use in ammunition dropped off. In 1967 Mr. Miller donated it to the MOTAT along with two of the tipper trucks.
MOTAT’s Oberursel is, today, a rare and significant survivor of an early internal-combustion locomotive. It is the oldest preserved internal combustion locomotive in New Zealand and the only German built example in the country. It is also one of very few Oberursel locomotives that still survives in such good condition.
Between 2005 and 2022 the locomotive has been restored and in October 2022 it was driven under its own power for the first time in 40 years. Going forward, it will be operated by the museum for Live Day collection activations on the Western Springs Railway.