Automobile [Triumph Herald 1200]
Maker and role
Triumph Motor Company, Manufacturer
See full details
Attached to the front grill of the vehicle are several badges/ hood ornaments of the AA, Scotland and Rotary club.
Known for their motorcycles, Triumph did not start producing 4-wheelers until 1923, with the launch of the 1.4 litre, 4-cylinder Triumph 10/20. However, it was not until 1928 that the company began to make an impression, with the introduction of an 832cc Super 7.
Throughout the 1930s, Triumph focussed on producing a range of sporting cars such as the Gloria, produced in various forms until the late 1930s. However, shortly before the outbreak of World War II, Triumph went into receivership. This, along with a wartime cessation of civilian automobile production and the bombing of the factory in 1940, halted production until the Standard Motor Company took over in 1944.
Standard produced several vehicles under the Triumph name of which the TR range were perhaps the most popular. Appearing in 1959 as a successor to the TR, the Triumph Herald did not prosper until the company once again changed hands this time to Leyland Motors Ltd in 1961. Under new management, the Herald became the Herald 1200 with a more powerful 1147cc engine and several interior and exterior alterations designed for luxury.
Model: Herald 1200
Manufacturer: Triumph Motor Company
Country manufactured: England
Engine type: Petrol, 4-cylinder
Engine capacity: 1.0 Litre
Horsepower: 38 bhp
Gearbox: Manual, 4 x forward speeds, 1 x reverse
TRIUMPH Maker's Plate
Herald/ 1200 Maker's Plate